Saturday, October 16, 2010

Happy Saturday morning!

Good morning!

I'm happy to report this morning's official weigh-in (using my official Weight Watchers brand scale, firmly situated underneath the bathroom sink) clocks me in at 212.8 - an almost two-pound loss since last week! Yay!

That's really good because two pounds a week is the amount most of the reputable diet and weight loss experts recommend as the maximum. Of course, you may average a little more or a little less each week, but that's OK too.

As long as you're not dropping, say, 20 pounds in one week. That would make me look around to see if a body part had fallen off!

So what did I do RIGHT this week? Let's check, shall we?

1. Exercise: I went to 24 Hour Fitness three days this week. While there, I started with weight-lifting, then went on to the stationary bike for 20 minutes, then repeated the weight-lifting before going on with my day. I like that routine, and think it's doing me good.

In addition, on the days I didn't go to the gym, I rode my bike. (Actually, I even rode my bike on the days I did go to the gym! Just didn't ride it as far or as long.

But I do love my comfy Electra Townie!)

2. Food: Not sure if I'm doing everything "right" on food, at least not the way Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or the other Big Weight Loss companies would advise. I'm basically eating what I want, when I want it - and exercising more to make up for it.

Hey, listen - I've been on so many diets in my life. Eventually they all fail because at some point, I get a craving for something I swore I'd never eat again.

Like, for example, Breyer's Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.

It's the best! Really! Have you ever tried it? No, I'm not trying to sabotage YOUR diet (sorry!). It's just that, if you're going to sabotage your diet with anything, this would be the best possible thing to do it with. It's all-natural, has only a handful of ingredients listed on the package and it's SOOOOO good!

So the thing is, I'm 52 years old and I'm going to exercise my prerogative of being a crotchety old lady and saying, "Gimme my Breyers, dammit!"

Oh, and also macaroni and cheese. Though I've learned to make a pretty healthy version of that, and I no longer feel the need to scarf down the Velveeta Shells & Cheese I used to love when I was younger. That stuff does taste good but man, those foil cheese packages are OILY - frankly, I wonder how much actual cheese is in there!

So I've just learned to make it myself. Cook any kind of pasta you like; dump some good quality cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese on top, and mix it with a little milk; then stick it in the oven or the microwave till it melts.

Then (my personal favorite) - before serving, sprinkle some pepper on top.

Mmm!! Love it!

I make it for myself as a reward for finishing a particularly good day of exercise and/or bike riding.

For me, that's the best way to deal with your food issues: don't give up the stuff you love, just (a) find and/or learn to make healthier versions of them and (b) do a ton of exercise so you won't feel guilty about eating them.

And ... sorry to interrupt, but since it's Saturday morning, my hubby is making breakfast for me - a very healthy version of bacon and eggs! Yummmm!!

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment